Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The DOT standards are for a particular boiling point but they also relate to fluid type, which is polyglycol based. So unlike standard engine oil's, which can come in multiple viscosities and manufactured from different bases, DOT 4 brake fluid is a set standard for type of liquid in each container. As a consequence, it doesn't really matter which companies fluid you buy. It will be the same standard as everyone else.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I just use Castrol Response.

Not dear, and a light colour, so it is obvious when it is discolouring.

Like engine oil, changing it frequently (particularly in the clutch on a road bike) is more important than brand.

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
910 Posts
If you live in the USA Castrol has a dot 4 , use to be called GT LMA. Not sure of the name now but it does say LMA on it Low Moisture Absorption works very well and not expensive.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Just get the cheapest Dot 4 for the clutch at your local parts store or wallyworld. The clutch system or brakes for that matter will never get to a temperature to worry about boiling the fluid on a street bike. I've used NAPA stuff on street and race bikes for years. No need to pay double the money for a botique brand unless it's on an A level rider race bike.

The key though is to minimize the fluids exposure time to air. Air contains moisture and brake fluid is hygroscopic. When you pour it, put the cap back on. When you bleed things, put the mater caps back on asap.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
This conversation seems to have been happening on a few threads simultaneously..
In one of the other threads I mentioned Motul's 5.1 fluid.
My understanding is that it is specifically for vehicles with ABS (anti-lock brake system). I believe it is a thinner viscosity for this purpose.
So yes - it is OK, but you may be paying extra for properties you don't need.
A straight Dot 4, as recommended, is the best choice.
Flushing it often - particularly in the clutch for a road bike (and the brakes on a track bike) is the important aspect.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
There is a bit of history behind this, but the short answer is no.

The story goes that Ducati got sued back in the '90s by the family of a rider who died after he'd rebuilt his brake hydraulics.

So they made a 'corporate decision' to subsidise the price of complete replacement master cylinders (they call them 'pumps') and other hydraulic components, and no longer supply the seal kits.

You could try someone like Gowanlochs, who used to get proprietary components from Brembo/Dell'Orto/Marzocchi et al independently of Ducati, but I suspect they'll tell you the same thing.

I think Ducati prevented Brembo from selling parts to fit Ducatis separate from their spares system.

But we WERE able to get the outermost seal for the 1098 - the fragile one where the pusher works - as a KTM part. Their big sports model uses the same masters..

And they're only $5.

;)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
But we WERE able to get the outermost seal for the 1098 - the fragile one where the pusher works - as a KTM part. Their big sports model uses the same masters.
Also, check the Parts List for the latest model of your bike. The master and clutch cylinder dust covers/boots are available from Ducati as a separate replacement part on later model bikes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes I checked an oem supplier parts catalogue and thats what I found ,no internal parts. Last night I ordered a RCS 19 lever and pump (thought I may as well go for the improvement than the same ! On my local track in Tasmania we have 2 corners that you need to brake 200kph+ down to 1st or 2nd and not much run off , so brakes are a priority. Thanks for the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.