Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the question I asked myself. Most sportbikes do, so i was wondering why they didn't include it. Doesn't seem to hard to do either.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Prepare for a bunch of guys to respond with "you don't need a gear indicator, you should know which gear you are in by feel"

I think that's bullshit. I agree with you that the bike should have come with one - the Pani does.

GI Pro makes a real easy plug and play item.

Reactions: jwm2k3

·
Registered
247 Posts
You don't count them when you shift? If you are lugging, go down. If you are revving, go up. ;)

Btw, beyond maybe the last 3 years or so, which bikes came with them stock? I can't recall many sport bikes having them at all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had never feel the need for a gear indicator on any of my bikes. A fuel gauge would be sweet though.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Honestly I think an indicator would distract me more than helping me since I'll be looking down to see what gear I'm on and next thing I know the next turn is up. But, to each of his own. You could have it installed at home by getting an aftermarket kit.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Honestly I think an indicator would distract me more than helping me since I'll be looking down to see what gear I'm on and next thing I know the next turn is up. But, to each of his own. You could have it installed at home by getting an aftermarket kit.
According to this theory, your speedometer would distract you the same, if not more... unless you dont care about how fast youre going.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prepare for a bunch of guys to respond with "you don't need a gear indicator, you should know which gear you are in by feel"

I think that's bullshit. I agree with you that the bike should have come with one - the Pani does.
Haha ya I mean, it's a nice addon, but not necessary. The pani indeed do have it so does the Diavel (from what I recall)

I mean when you buy such quality bike, you expect certain things to be there "by default"
Even the Ninja's have them.

You don't count them when you shift? If you are lugging, go down. If you are revving, go up. ;)
Honestly, sometimes I don't.. between 4th,5th,6th really, one way to know is when you're following your RPMs... Having driven a standard car in the past does help but you know... how much is it to add 1 square with N,1,2,3,4,5,6 lol

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
According to this theory, your speedometer would distract you the same, if not more... unless you dont care about how fast youre going.
in the track I usually use the masking tape to tape the speed part because when I see how fast I go I get scared and shut off the throttle--
On the street I just took a glance of how fast I'm going just in case I'm the only one who is passing traffic

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
What's the point of this thread? It doesn't have one because it doesn't... either do the GIpro mod or just count like the rest of us. It has nothing to do with "this bike is expensive so it should come with one."

·
Registered
247 Posts
A fuel gauge would be sweet though.
Especially with such a tiny tank, but even then around 100 miles I expect my 'find a station yesterday!' light to come on.

I know I'll get laughed at but frankly I'd rather have a good set of grip heaters than a gear indicator. Or a metal tank that will work with a decent tank bag (and not expand).

·
Registered
204 Posts
Especially with such a tiny tank, but even then around 100 miles I expect my 'find a station yesterday!' light to come on.

I know I'll get laughed at but frankly I'd rather have a good set of grip heaters than a gear indicator. Or a metal tank that will work with a decent tank bag (and not expand).
^That metal tank would be sweet. If I had only wait for the SP :rolleyes:
I am doing the same thing, reset my trip meter everitime I am fueling and I know how much gas I have in any moment.
A cruise control would make me not use the trailer every time I am going to my favorite roads in the mountain. :naughty: I hate longs and strate highways.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What's the point of this thread? It doesn't have one because it doesn't... either do the GIpro mod or just count like the rest of us. It has nothing to do with "this bike is expensive so it should come with one."
Well i mean, we are the customers and without no customer, there's no company.

So I see it like if the customers dont say anything, then nothing will be done (that is hopefully if Ducati listens!)

And I agree with a fuel indicator!! why not that as well!! :)

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Well i mean, we are the customers and without no customer, there's no company.

So I see it like if the customers dont say anything, then nothing will be done (that is hopefully if Ducati listens!)

And I agree with a fuel indicator!! why not that as well!! :)
I'm much more pissed about the magical expanding tank issue. Obviously Ducati Motor Holding cares fuck-all for their customers...:mad:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm much more pissed about the magical expanding tank issue. Obviously Ducati Motor Holding cares fuck-all for their customers...:mad:
haha ya that really sucks... I got the '13 corse so with the ally tank, i think that won't be a problem?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I second that a fuel gage of some sort would be great.
And heated grips.... oh and a radio... and some cup holders.. and, and, and a backrest for my pillion - no wait that's a GoldWing!!!

Its a sportsbike based on a racing platform :bash:

Shit I've been riding bikes for too long - I can even remember when there wasn't even a killswitch on the sidestand......

·
Court Jester
12,047 Posts
It would be nice, it certainly isn't needed. I asked my self the same question.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
I have done a lot of miles on my 1098 and many other Ducatis over the last almost-40 years.
I used to think that when Suzukis came out with gear indicators in the early '70s they were pandering to people who couldn't ride.
Now, with 6-speed gearboxes, and the torque and rev-range of these bikes, a gear indicator would sometimes be useful.
Mainly at the track, when you might not be sure which gear you're in (and it's really important for corner entry!) and on the open road where we go looking for 7th gear.
But it surely would have been easy to include on that elaborate and versatile dash panel these come with, without adding much weight or complexity.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Don't have one on my Harley decker sure the hell don't need one on my Duc, thats wht RPMs are for

1 - 20 of 34 Posts