Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I remember reading that 999r connecting rods will fit the 848 EVO motor or do the 1098r? Or am I completely wrong??

If so, other than bearings would you need new pistons as well?

17k mile track bike..those bearing are probably on borrowed time and I see those Ti rods pop up every now and then for sale. Thought it would be a nice upgrade/project when the time comes

thanks

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yep, the 999R rod fits almost all the water cooled bikes besides the 749R and the 1198/1098R.

The problem with buying used titanium rods come down to the screws. They are ONE TIME USE, they stretch when installed and can't be RE-INSTALLED. So sure, you can find some cheap titanium rods on ebay, but you'll have to buy new screws, which are expensive and hard to find. The other issue is related to rod stretch, titanium rods have a lower tolerance for stretch and until you buy the used rods and measure them, you don't know if they're in spec.

I put lightweight steel Carrillio rods in my 848 race engine, new they were half the price of the titanium and only 90g heavier. I wouldn't recommend those rods for the 1098/1198 or the R models, but for the 748/749/848, I think they're a prefect alternative.

The titanium rods won't make the bike feel any different, so it's not really an "upgrade" for the 848. The reason why titanium rods are used, is to reduce mass in order to allow the engine to run at higher RPM's with less wear. On the street bike's, they're used on the homologation specials because the rules state the rod material can't be changed. If you had a 748R/749R and used RS cam's, which deliver optimal power in the 12k + range, then yes, the titanium rods would help. But the 848 pretty much runs out of steam at 9,800 RPM and even if you time the cam's for higher RPM's, you'll still barely scrape 11k with max power output and another few hundred RPM of over-rev.

So yea, USED titanium rods are something I'd personally stay away from. It's just the opinion of many technician's I've worked with over the years and they've proved it to me in person, so I've agreed with that advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.