Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will changing the number of teeth on the sprockets affect the speedo reading on the 1098? or does it get its speedo reading from the front wheel?

·
Registered
181 Posts
i don't know, for sure, if the speedo is affected but there is a sensor on the rear wheel/brake caliper. if this is the speed sensor, that it looks to be, sprokets should not affect the speeo

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have always been curious about this myself...but when someone says they dropped a tooth in the rear sprocket, what does that mean in terms of the rpm for the engine vs the rpm for the rear wheel?

G

·
sheeesh, only by changing the diameter of the rear wheel will you change the speedo reading, when you rev your machine at the lights does the speedo work? No so revs do not effect the speedo, also the speedo is not gear driven from the motor (no cable to the head) by rights if you just turn the key on and push the bike the speedo should work.

·
Registered
250 Posts
slob said:
sheeesh, only by changing the diameter of the rear wheel will you change the speedo reading, when you rev your machine at the lights does the speedo work? No so revs do not effect the speedo, also the speedo is not gear driven from the motor (no cable to the head) by rights if you just turn the key on and push the bike the speedo should work.
So what you're saying is that the sensor is at the wheel hub? Please enlighten me because everything I have experience with is not moto, but has 4 wheels, and has the sensor either at the tranny, or uses the computer to calculate wheel speed based on RPM and selected gear, given the crank trigger. If it is at the wheel, then life is good.

Roberto

·
Registered
48 Posts
slob said:
Most modern Jap bikes run the speedo off the transmission countershaft, so revving at a light doesn't affect the speedo (of course), but gearing changes will. However, it seems that since our Desmo friends put the speedo drive on the rear wheel, it's just one less thing to worry about :hump:

·
Registered
77 Posts
On all of my Jap bikes the speedo worked off of the countershaft - and as Brandon stated, of course your speedo would not go up as you rev at a light in neutral. My 95 Ducati 900ss sp had a wheel pickup and was not affected by a larger rear sprocket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts