Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for those who store their bikes indoors for the winter, which fluids are removed aside from gas?

Coolant
Engine oil
Fuel tank

Garage storage is tight this year, I'm hoping to store indoors. Home/auto company have not provided any details aside from the obvious - remove gas.

1198 with plastic tank so rust is not an issue.

Thanks,
Joerider

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Quick question for those who store their bikes indoors for the winter, which fluids are removed aside from gas?

Coolant
Engine oil
Fuel tank

Garage storage is tight this year, I'm hoping to store indoors. Home/auto company have not provided any details aside from the obvious - remove gas.

1198 with plastic tank so rust is not an issue.

Thanks,
Joerider
If it doesn't leak I don't know why you need to remove any of it. Add some preservative to the gas and call it good.

But how long were you going to store it?

·
Registered
364 Posts
If it doesn't leak I don't know why you need to remove any of it. Add some preservative to the gas and call it good.

But how long were you going to store it?
I thought of the same thing, but then what would home/ tenent insurance think? (Year end at home, reviewing insurance policies lol).

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
I thought of the same thing, but then what would home/ tenent insurance think? (Year end at home, reviewing insurance policies lol).
I guess the gas removal would be prudent, but the other liquids I don't see a problem with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll ensure all the gas is out of the tank, run it dry and perhaps leave the tank open in the garage for 24 hours. That should dry out the tank and allow most of the vapors to escape.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
I'll ensure all the gas is out of the tank, run it dry and perhaps leave the tank open in the garage for 24 hours. That should dry out the tank and allow most of the vapors to escape.
there is a certain risk to damaging the fuel pump with the tank dry.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Teeeeeechnically, according to insurance, storing the bike in any area attached to a house without fire blocking, you have to remove ANY flammable liquid. I.E. gas, oil, clutch/brake fluid. Coolant can stay because it is not flammable. I believe garage build code requires flame blocking during construction so your bike can have aaaaany fluid it wants to be stored with. I'm guessing it has something to do with people parking their cars in the garage at any given time.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Put 50 psi of air in the tires, hook up a battery tender, fill fuel tank, put fuel stablilizer in it....and get an extra rag to wipe off the drool as you look at it all winter :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok so after a couple of years of riding a yamaha fz6 in all weathers and basically just using it as a commuter bike.....I eventually listened to the twitch in my bollocks and bought a 1099 streetfighter!!!! Now my bollocks take refuge inside my stomach every time i take her out!! Love it!!

This won't be a commuter bike, so now that England is hitting winter time I don't want to risk looking like bambi on two wheels and damaging my pride and joy!

Any tips or advice you guys could give me with regards storing it for a couple of months would be greatly appreciated. It's a 2011 (newish model) if this makes any difference? Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim

Cheers jay....

·
Registered
'12 848evo, '13 Hypermotard SP, '94 CBR600f2 track bike, '06 CBR600rr track bike
908 Posts
If you have a garage what's wrong with leaving it there ?

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Nothing but you should still winterize it if you won't be running it for a few months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Theres nothing better than a twin with a set of pipes....

I agree.....sounds awesome! Friend of mine rides an aprilia rsv4 which is what swayed me towards a twin, just love the sound of em and it's a totally different ride to what I'm used to.

So from what I've read with regards to winter storage this is my plan.....

1.Give her a good clean/polish etc and make sure she's completely dry

2.Fill the tank up and add stabiliser or drain completely??

3. Give her a once over with some anti corrosion spray.

4.Inflate tyres to 50psi

5.Park on some sort of rug or matting due to not having a suitable paddock stand as yet.

6.Connect optimiser to battery

7.Cover the bitch back up 😃

Quick question, maybe a dumb one.

Is it worth removing the open clutch cover after washing the bike to make sure there's no water inside?

f the above sounds about right then sweet! If not and any of you guys could advise me on anything else then feel free to comment.

Cheers jay

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I know others say drain the tank...I wouldn't.

The clutch should be fine also...as long as there's not pooled water in there...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts