Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Yep.. interesting read.... I remember an article by Kevin Cameron discussing the power delivery of a twin. Getting the power down on the track... of course, back then the bikes did not have the function of todays electronics (traction parameters)...whole new game in many respects.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
What I don't get is why do they always have to fuck with stuff that works well?? Why didn't they just continue to use the bike from 2014?? Marc dominated that season, so obviously the bike worked pretty damn well. Just give it a new paint job and keep the same bike, or make another one the exact same way.

On another note, anyone think it's a bit odd (not sure if it's good or bad yet, depends how you look at it) that Marquez lapped only 0.8 seconds faster than Sykes on his ZX10r at the Jerez testing? lol

Reactions: cb4265

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably a bit soon to be doing comparisons, because the Michelin front tyre has a lot of catching up to do, but I would expect them to be close or better in the New Year.

My understanding of Honda's problem was an internal balance problem that had an ill effect on the front end, but they couldn't fix it during the season due to the rules, so I am surprised they have come out testing worse than before :confused: but in a way I am glad.

Does anyone know why Yamaha did not take part in testing?

Craig

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Probably a bit soon to be doing comparisons, because the Michelin front tyre has a lot of catching up to do, but I would expect them to be close or better in the New Year.
Yeah, I'm sure times will drop as teams and riders dial in the bikes more for those tires...but still, when Dorna took over WSBK they wanted to neuter the bikes a bit because they were getting to the point that they were only about 1-2 seconds off the pace of the factory GP bikes. But it seems like the engineers simply managed to make better production bikes and not rely as much as heavy modifications, because lap times in WSBK continued to drop. And now the GP bikes are getting slower because of the the spec ECU and the Michelin fronts not being quite as good as the Bridgestones (at the moment)...so I'm not sure that Dorna really achieved everything it wanted :eek:

Does anyone know why Yamaha did not take part in testing?

Craig
Because they're too good for that. They're confident they'll destroy everyone again :D

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I take that back...Sykes just blew his track record set earlier this year with a 1:39.3...meaning he went faster than Marquez did in the GP testing :D

Even Hayden beat the track record and was 4th fastest.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The secondary Yamaha teams did test and will forward info.

Jorge and Valentino have been spared until the New Year with a better front Michelin available then.

Ducati definitely have an upper hand as far as knowing more about the ECU than the other teams, but I wish this was not a factor.

Talking/thinking out loud here, but when Stoner get's on it he won't care too much about the front, he steers with the rear, so it will be interesting to see riding styles adapt and change because of the new tyres & ECU's

What do you guys think?

Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.