Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a dumb question but can someone tell me what these wires are on my 848? I was thinking they were to do with holding in the clutch to start the bike but it started for me without the clutch pulled in anyway. I need to know before I start pulling it apart!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Starter safety switch, so the bike knows when you pull the clutch in.

It prevents you from hitting the start button with the bike in gear and not pulling in the clutch.

Reactions: rubbish

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tuned! Is there a problem disconnecting these wires? Am I going to create a problem in the ecu or elsewhere? Really appreciate your feedback

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You can unplug the whole thing, it's unnecessary for the bike's function.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Just so you understand how this operates - there are three linked components for safe starting.

The switch you have found on the clutch lever, a switch on the sidestand, and the neutral light switch.

So you won't inadvertently try and start it while it is in gear unless the clutch lever is pulled in.

Or ride off with your sidestand down. You are probably already accustomed to how this works without realising it.

I would be inclined to leave it alone and put up with a couple of visible wires. They did all this for our benefit..

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
What is the resulting problems with hitting the starter while in gear without the clutch in?
It will push the bike off the kickstand and fall over on the unsuspecting rider. It could also do damage to the starter sprague, idle gear and starter motor due to the extra forces in play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts