Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing the flywheel, sprag and starter gear. Got everything sealed back up and now the bike just cranks and cranks.

It will crank the pistons over and over. It is almost as if there is no spark and every once in a while it almost belches like a backfire of air.

Obviously I am thinking timing. I didn't do anything with the Pick Up sensor while i was in the crank case cover.

I NEED MY BIKE for the INDY GP....HELP

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started playing with the CPS sensor gap...at .201 I got it to brap brap twice then die.

This kind of smoked my battery though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it started on a jump box. I had to play with the spacing on the pickup sensor .5mm seems to be ideal.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dutch,

Thanks for that thought. I was very careful with the timing. She starts and idles now with the jumper box. I think the battery is worn down.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bikes running like a champ. Conclusion below

As noted by Dutch ensure that your timing is aligned. In my case it was.

The Pick up sensor aka CPS depending on which threads you read have a fairly tight tolerance.

You should regap the sensor before reinstalling the crankcase cover. I didn't do this because I was hurrying and dumb.

I loosened the sensor bolt and used feeler gauges until I got a good spark. In my case it was the .508 mm gauge.

I cut a new shim at .500 mm and installed the sensor again.

Fully charged battery turns the bike over nicely.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Was the flywheel, sprag, and starter gear a kit or did you piece them separately?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the flange and sprag from gotham cycles. I got the starter gear and nichols lightweight flywheel from ebay. I believe they came out of a 848 corse with 900 miles.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I read that thread. The flywheel from the 848 Corse SE is just about the optimal weight for the 1098 according to Duc Shop. She was running so well today when I traded her for the panigale I almost didn't want to see her go.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
She was running so well today when I traded her for the panigale I almost didn't want to see her go.
I went through the same thing and know how you feel... it's bitter/sweet

the Panigale is an awesome thoroughbred, see you soon in the 1199 forums -

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I start to miss my bike...then I switch to race mode. Then I don't miss it so much. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts