Ducati.org forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello, I bought Monster Man's project. I'm excited to see the engine apart.

Does anybody have a manual they could send please? Engine and Frame

I'm willing to take pics or whatever if anybody wants to see the insides.

I've worked on many many Duc's but never a Desmosidici, so I'm giving it a try.

Chris
www.cincydesmoservice.com

·
Registered
465 Posts
Chris, please post photos and a write-up of your Desmo wrench-venture. Ducati has $20k worth of special tools for a shop to be D16 certified and some of us wonder just how many of those tools are required to work on the engine. This becomes increasingly interesting now that most of the bikes are out of warranty.

For my next valve check, I plan to drop the motor and perhaps remove the heads myself. I like working on stuff. About nine hours of shop time for the valve adjustment is simple disassembly and reassembly. Once the motor is out with the heads still on, there are about three hours involved in the valve adjustment. Subtract an hour from that for a simple heads-off valve adjustment. Parts: between one and 32 shims at ~$45 ea, one or two head gaskets at $312 ea, two valve cover gaskets at ~$80 ea, four exhaust gaskets at $75 ea, four o-rings at ~$5 ea, oil, filter and various shop supplies.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks,
I will keep updates. I work on the regular Ducati's everyday, but I'm very curious as well on the specialty tools and ability. I have no experience on the DD16RR so it will definitely be a learning opportunity or a failure.

I would like to find a complete engine and install that. And then in the mean time work on the engine. If anybody has and techy links please post them.

Oh yeah, still need service manual.

Thanks,
Chris

61 - 80 of 106 Posts