22. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 40.393s
23. Greg Gildenhuys RSA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 40.453s
14. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 41.625s
25. Chanon Chumjai THA RAC Oil BMW S1000RR 1m 41.739s
26. Ireneusz Sikora POL Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 42.766s

See less See more
#2 ·

crash.net said:
Fresh from his win with Kawasaki in Australia, Jonathan Rea has kicked off the second round of the World Superbike Championship as he means to go on by topping first free practice at the Chang International Circuit by seven tenths of a second.

The first time World Superbikes have sampled the Thai venue, the specially extended session would see Rea move front after 40mins with a 1min 35.920secs lap, the Ulsterman proceeding to better his effort twice more to stop the clock in a best time of 1min 35.004secs.

Indeed, with Rea commanding a substantial seven tenths advantage over team-mate Tom Sykes, only the two Kawasaki riders were able to crack 1min 36secs, with all but the Englishman a second adrift or more adrift of the pace setter.

Jordi Torres was third fastest – the Spaniard breaking the 300km/h barrier in the process - after a late improvement on the Red Devils Aprilia, ahead of Chaz Davies on the Aruba.it Ducati, who suffered a tumble, and Alex Lowes on the Voltcom Crescent Suzuki.

Behind them, Aprilia's Leon Haslam led his replacement at PATA Honda, Michael van der Mark, in sixth and seventh while David Salom was a noteworthy eighth best in his first session since a high-speed accident in Australia left him with a series of injuries.

Barni Ducati rider Leandro Mercado and reigning champion Sylvain Guintoli rounded out the top ten, edging out Sylvain Barrier, Randy de Puniet, Nico Terol and Troy Bayliss, the former champion proving a respectable 14th fastest on his continuing return to action.

#3 ·

crash.net said:
Chaz Davies is looking to carry his early momentum from the season opener in Australia to the new Chang International Circuit in Thailand, which hosts the second round of the 2015 World Superbike season.

The Welshman notched up back-to-back podiums at Phillip Island and feels even more motivated for the season ahead thanks to his two third place finishes.

“After the results achieved in Australia, I'm feeling even more motivated and am looking forward to getting back to work this weekend and seeing what we can do,” Davies said.

The Thai round is brand new to the World Superbike championship and is a venture into the relative unknown for Davies, who has only visited the Chang International circuit once before while touring the region with his Ducati team.

It will be a fresh challenge for all the teams and riders but with the Aruba.it Ducati rider full of confidence ahead of Thai WSBK round he will be one of favourites to grab the maiden victory around the new circuit.

“I had the chance to visit the circuit while visiting Ducati Thailand in January this year,” Davies said. “It looks like an amazing facility and a great track and I'm always keen to race at new circuits.”

Davies currently sits third in the WSBK riders' standings after the first round and will once again be joined by three-time WSBK champion Troy Bayliss who will continue to fill in for the injured Davide Giugliano.

crash.net said:
Troy Bayliss says he cannot wait to get back on the Aruba.it Ducati Panigale R after being given another chance to ride in the World Superbike Championship.

The former champion made a shock return to the series on home soil at Phillip Island last month after putting himself forward as a late replacement for the injured Davide Giugliano.

With Giugliano still out of action a month later, Bayliss has been called up again, this time to sample the brand-new Chang International Circuit in Thailand.

Having put in a respectable performance in Australia given his lengthy time off the bike and in a racing environment, Bayliss feels better prepared for this shot, particularly as it will be held at a venue no other rider has previously sampled before.

“Firstly I'd like to thank the team for giving me another chance to ride the Panigale R. I'm excited to get back on track, and at what is a brand new circuit for everyone, so we'll all start on a level playing field. I've been training hard in recent weeks and am feeling well prepared for the challenge. I can't wait to get started.

#7 ·
You mean one of the most successful racers in World Superbike history? :p

Sometimes it doesn't matter how old you are, if you know how to be a champion, it's just a matter of time and hard work before you are one again.

I just hope Bayliss can close that gap even more and show us a good time with the front runners during the race. :)

#5 ·
Free Practice 2 Results

1. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 34.685s
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 34.751s
3. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 35.288s
4. Leon Haslam GBR Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 35.288s
5. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 35.457s
6. Sylvain Guintoli FRA PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 35.570s
7. Troy Bayliss AUS Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 35.690s
8. Matteo Baiocco ITA Althea Ducati 1199R 1m 35.913s
9. Jordi Torres ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 35.943s
10. David Salom ESP Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 36.055s
11. Leandro Mercado ARG Barni Ducati 1199R 1m 36.105s
12. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 36.218s
13. Randy de Puniet FRA Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 36.263s
14. Sylvain Barrier FRA BMW Italia S1000RR 1m 36.308s
15. Nico Terol ESP Althea Ducati 1199R 1m 36.391s
16. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta F4 RR 1m 36.940s
17. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 37.632s
18. Niccolo Canepa ITA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 37.692s
19. Christophe Ponsson LUX Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 37.824s
20. Santiago Barragan ESP Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 37.964s
21. Anucha Nakcharoensri THA YSS TS Honda CBR1000RR 1m 38.174s
22. Greg Gildenhuys RSA Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 48.767s
23. Larry Pegram USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 38.772s
24. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 39.256s
25. Ireneusz Sikora POL Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 40.719s
26. Chanon Chumjai THA RAC Oil BMW S1000RR 1m 40.810s

#6 ·

crash.net said:
Troy Bayliss rolled back the years and says he used tactics from seven years ago which were able to do the same trick during free practice at the Chang International Circuit in Thailand.

The former three-time World Superbike champion finished the day seventh fastest overall with a quick time of 1m 35.690s, on his Aruba.it Racing Ducati Panigale R and was relatively satisfied by the developments made during the day. The Australian rider was constantly making small tweaks to his bike throughout both sessions which saw him make significant gains each time.

“We had a few little dramas this morning that meant that it took us a little while to get going,” Bayliss said. “I was feeling ok but nothing really special in the first practice. I knew we'd be able to more this afternoon on the softer tyre and I was right, able to go immediately quicker.

“Then we made a change mid-session, a change that also used to help us in the past, and I was able to make some quick laps, with my fastest lap coming on a tyre that had done 13 laps. So I'm really happy now, when I got off the bike I felt like I did seven years ago.”

Bayliss finished one second off pace-setter Alex Lowes and remains confident ahead of the second round of the 2015 World Superbike championship.

The 45-year-old rider is acting as cover for the injured Davide Giugliano. Bayliss also raced in place of Giugliano for the World Superbike championship season opener at Phillip Island, marking a return to racing after retiring in 2008.

#10 ·
Well, I believe that Rubb's comments and my own were more in. I text with WSBK.. At least, speaking for myself?
Mine was..

Championships won by Bayliss since he left WSBK?
Enlighten myself if you would Tye..

Reactions: W17 and 219R
#12 ·
I just meant it's not bad for a 45-year old who until last race weekend at PI hasn't raced a superbike for 6 years at this level in a sport that's dominated by youngsters (sort of...Guintoli did win after all last year :D )

#13 ·
I believe Checa was older then Guintoli and Bayliss when he won on the Ducati.

Bayliss has done a great job, love him and his attitude.

My point of course goes back to the age old argument we keep having here… once you know how to win, it's a lot easier to re-create the magic of success.

I'm at the track all weekend, so argue amongst yourselves. ;)

#16 ·
.....................................SPOILER............................
In more ways than one!!!

Lets hear it for Bayliss!!! My new hero!!!

Grand prix motorcycle racing Sports Racing Superbike racing Motorsport

Actually have had an official signed 8x10 Ducati Photo of Bayliss, taken in 2007/2008. Proudly hangs on my wall!!
I even have more good reasons to qualify him for my all time Racing Hero, as he made Superpole 2 this weekend!

Go Troy, Go Ducati!!!!...life is very good!!!

#20 ·
I'm not sure what other Championships Bayliss has won either......

Maybe The is away researching this......I'm sure he will be back soon letting us all know what they were..! ;)

Freighttrain - As a Brit myself......I'll be watching them....which one to win....Rea and Haslem look fast....VDM will crash....Lowes will be up there.....Sykes.....Davies.....??!!

Then the rest of the world will follow...!

Lets see if I have to eat my words tomorrow...!!

Brits 123 in both races.

#23 ·
rmc.. I think that you may be spot on with VDM..
But he is young, and I like the kid..

Should be some good racing with the Brit's..
Rea is going to be tough this year, and Haslam looks good as well..

#24 ·
It is interesting that Brits are kicking ass in WSBK, but in GP it's mostly Spaniards (with a bit of Italian mix)

#28 ·
Enjoy that lunch...
Rea looked pretty darn good this weekend..

I think Bayliss will enjoy his lunch as well, at home..
"It's been fun"..

Reactions: WERA689
#30 ·
No Championships 219 this year I doubt.....but the Panigale is right up there with the front runners.....Chaz Davies is an experienced pilot and if he keeps it upright he'll pick up the pieces from when the others fall over themselves. I think the front end issues he had this weekend stem from him thinking he should be running with Rea and Haslem......

#34 ·
Baiocco top Ducati in both races....who the fuck is Baiocco??? lol Kind of disappointed in Terol. Being a Moto 2 race winner, I figured he'd be a lot better, similarly to Torres, but he hasn't shown anything so far. Rea cleaned out though...he's kicking ass...not really liking that :/

On another note, the WSS race had a great ending. Though not the most exciting race, you gotta feel for Wilairot and the whole of Thailand! Couldn't have had a better day! And good for PJ Jacobsen representing the US! Hopefully he continues at that pace.

Reactions: freighttrain
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.