Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be in the market for a first bike this summer. I like the tight look of the 748 and a full fairing. What should a new rider get? I'm new to this, so if you wouldn't mind posting a photo along with any suggestions would be helpful.

I've been into muscle cars for about 20 years, and I also have a Corvette. Now that I live near Daytona I'd like to be able to ride. The weather is so great here people ride all year long.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome ! The 748 is a fantastic bike. and would make an excellent 1st bike. Its fast, it has some balls, its not hard to ride, and being a first time rider it will serve you well. Its not "too much" of a bike. My sister has an 02 748s that is kept at my house, and that bike just flat out hauls, i love it! Its hard to imagine how my 1098 is gonna feel to the 748. Look in My registry to see a pic of it.

Before you by any used Ducati, make sure it has all the maintenance records since day one! Ducati's require frequent maintenance in order to keep them running well. Mainly valve adj and belt replacements. this is done every 7500 mi. labor on the full maintenance varies from dealer, but generally is around $ 500-700. If the bike did not have servicing done regularly it can be disastrous. - stay away from these. Parts maintenance and labor for these bikes are expensive, so make sure you know what your getting into before you buy. If the above didn't scare you off, great welcome to the world of Ducati! There is no other bikes like it on the road!

IMO i would also stay away from bikes that have been heavily modified.
If possible i would have a dealer give the bike a good look over.
Have the rockers checked out, there was a problem with some of them, with the plating chipping off. That's something that ducati should still take care of even though its out of warranty.

Typical mods for ducs are exhausts, open clutch covers, pressure plates, re gearing, and replacing the clutch slave cylinder. You may also want to consider and side stand "cheater" harness, that will allow you to start the bike in Neutral while the side stand is down. From the factory the bike will not start unless if your on the bike with the side stand up. Its a pain in the ass while your letting it warm up, Its an easy mod and costs around $30.

When you find the right Ducati, it will treat you well, and you will have a blast. The grin on your face will stay, long after your off the bike!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I posted earlier I have read a lot of complaints about reliability with the 748; and about Ducati's in general. This is a concern to me. I want to be able to depend on it and enjoy it, not just spend money on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first Ducati was a '98 748. Put 16K miles on it in 3 years and the only problem it had was the well known resevoir coolant leak. Since then I've owned three Ducati's (916SPS, S4R, 999s) and all have been very reliable. Regular maintenance is key. Get service history records and meet/talk with the owner to see if they are the type that take care of things. Great entry into Ducati Superbikes.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rathbone said:
Is there another model well suited to a new rider that doesn't have the dubious history of the 748?
Other than the rocker arm issue, which was paid for by ducati, my sisters 748s has been flawless! The clutch lasted 14,000 mi, It has almost 17,000 mi on it. Don't believe all the horror stories that you hear. Like i said if the bike is regularly maintained on time every time it will be reliable. I would never own any other bike!!
You just got to find the bike that has all of the records.

Sorry to break it to you, but ducati ownership is more costly than other bikes. Its the Ferrari of motorcycles. That's just part of the game. If cost and routine maintenance is an issue then i would look else where.

Other Ducati models are the same when it comes to maintenance. It all comes down to what style bike you want.

Personally i would go down to a dealer and test ride bikes, and buy the one that you like whether its a Ducati or something else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not so concerned about the cost of parts, it's the downtime and risk of being stranded that are larger concerns.

I first went to the Triumph Daytona forum and they all said the throttle was too quirky for a new rider - that if you hit a bump the change in throttle could throw you off.

The Buell forum said the short wheelbase and high seating position are not well suited for new riders. I agree that I want a low bike so I can put both feet flat on the ground. I'm 5'6" so that is a concern. Most bikes will have to be lowered.

Irregardless of make, it seems the larger displacement bikes are easier to find for sale in used condition than the smaller versions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a friend who had a Honda 929RR for a first bike, I myself started on a Ninja 250. It's all up to the rider. YOU must realize the consequence, and practice, practice, practice on the bike. Get to know the throttle control, braking distances, and maneuvering. A bike is a bike, learn to ride properly, and you should be able to ride anything this side of a Desmosedici..... :D

My 748 is my 4th bike, and I've loved every second of it. It has about 24,000 miles on it now ('02) and hasn't had any major issues at all (knock on wood).

Make sure the belts are replaced on time, and valve clearances checked, and you should be o.k. Other typical bike maintanence guidelines apply (tires, fluids, etc).

I say go for it. A easy, and semi-cheap way into the world of Ducati.

I've been hooked since mile 1, and can't wait for Ducati to build a 848....I'm all over it.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to say it's nice to see a forum where people aren't beating people up over what they ride and you guys all have started riding on many different kinds of bikes too. My first strret bike was back in the day was a Yamaha Seca 400 LOL. Through the years I have had many kinds of bikes. My favorites being my GSXR 750 and My Buell Lightning 1200. I am looking into the Ducati 1098 but may end up with a 998 since my patience is not one to wait in line. :) I look forward to sharing and learning from you guys. If anyone is close to Reading Pa look me up and we'll ride sometime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
good luck

buy a cheap 1st bike that you wouldn't mind if it fell over (and it will)

do you have a m/c drivers license?

have you taken a m/c safety course?

ride for about 6 months then come back and talk about buying a duck

i know too many people that went out, got an expensive bike then crashed 2 weeks later

would you suggest a corvette to kid for his first car?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would recommend either Suzuki SV650 or Ducati Monster 900 as a first bike. I loved my 748 (my second bike) but I wouldn't recommend it as a first learner motorcycle. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Funny...

Might be totally inviting some people to rip into me... but last week I bought a 748 as my first bike. It's used, 2001, biposto, and I couldn't be happier.

I did a lot of research and everything pointed me to an sv650 or equivalent twin. Then I found a gem of a deal on my dream bike and couldn't pass it up. Not that I'm supporting it as a first bike for everyone, but I hope it works out for me. :p

Hopefully I'll chronicle the whole experience here.

http://748adventures.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think it's the best bike to get as your first bike, but a friend of mine has done just that and he gets along just fine. :)

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
My first bike was a 906 Paso and was it was a bad bike to learn on as it was heavy and hard to move around. I then bought a 97 748. It was much easier to ride and the bike's great handing did save a few rider mistakes!! Take it easy on it an i believe it will be fine, just use your head.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you have any riding experience at all? Anything?

I would generally say hell no... It takes a little while to really understand how fast a bike is... any bike, nevermind a duc superbike.

It is very easy to feel like you are cruising along at a comfortable pace, then look down to find that you are going 90mph.

90 might be fine too... until a car pulls out in front of you, or an branch is laying across the road, or you are not familiar with a corner in front of you and you don't know what to do.

I would really suggest something smaller displacement, slower, lighter, and japanese. Find a Katana or one of those old style yzf600's(or whatever they are) until you get some time under your belt.

I HAVE been riding since I was 5 on dirt. I crashed my first street bike, monster 900, because I really didn't think I was going that fast approaching a corner. I am SURE I would have died if I was on the R1 I almost bought instead. (thank you progressive for being a RIP OFF ins company!)

Whatever you get, don't try and ride above you abilities. Good luck, welcome to motorcycling!

·
Registered
113 Posts
A 748 is a bad choice. Get an aircooled monster or a 750 supersport rather than one of the superbikes. Start small and work your way up, riding a bike is not like driving a car. The performance of the machine will catch you out and bite your ass until you are used to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd have to agree with those stating the 748 would not be good as a first bike.

This is my first post, but I have been riding for decades. I started on the original Honda Mini Trail, before I had any kind of license.

Sportbikes handle well out on the road, they sometimes can be difficult around town, and uncomfortable.

I'd point you towards a cruiser type or at least something you can place both feet firmly on the ground when stopped.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have purchased a 98 748 as a first bike. I have taken a safety course and have no prior riding experience whatsoever. As long as you are safe and no what your skill level is, you will do fine. I have had my bike for a few months now and feel very comfortable on it. I still have a lot to learn but that will all come with time. Whatever you choose to get, ride safe!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mrhonest said:
Without reading all the other posts. No the 748 is not a good first bike, in fact I am going to go ahead and say the 748 is amongst the worst first bikes you could get.
I haven't been back in a while. I'm surprised to see this thread is still going. The nay-sayers don't seem to put forth much of an argument. They just say "nay". But I decided against getting a motorcycle at all. If I can't get something I can be proud of then forget it. I bought a BMW convertible instead. It still blows my hair back and I don't have to wear a helmet. But I still admire the style of the 748. All of the other models are ugly in comparison.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts