Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...an 09 848 with a blown motor

I blew my motor out at VIR this past week. It's completely seized...

I'm thinking about just saying screw it and selling the bike as is. Would you guys buy an 848 with a blown motor, if so how much?

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
I would but I'd scour Ebay and such t find out what a used engine is going for, find out what your bike is worth according to the book value, deduct the most expensive engine I could find with the lowest K's, subtract a bit more for my time spent on doing an engine swap and then low ball you. For example.......book value on my 08 848 in Canada here is $9000 for a clean version. Say I find a good low K motor for $2500 shipped to my warehouse in Blaine WA. I'd deduct that $2500 plus cost of getting it across the border and then my time to swap motors then offer maybe $4000.

That's only cause I know how to work on bikes. If I didn't, I wouldn't even consider it. If I knew how to work on bikes and only wanted to buy it as a project to build slowly, I'd probably offer you $2500.

It's worth it to source a motor, get the bike running again and decide if you still want to sell it and get something different or keep it and ride it. We're coming in to winter now so bikes are gonna crash on cold pavement and you'll have a few months of cheap parts to browse through before next season starts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that makes sense... All of that being said once I swap out the motor, do you think there is any market for a blown motor in case someone wanted to rebuild? I really don't care how much I got for it.... Something is better than nothing.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
It sound like a rod went through the block so the only good parts on that engine are maybe going to be the heads. The bottom cases should be ok depending on where the rod went through. Pistons, rods, crank and cylinders will be toast. Miiiiiiight be able to sell the gears and clutch set up but as they are OEM parts, would be sitting on them a while.

You could sell them as OEM but honestly it depends on how much clutter you want in the garage and for how long.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you plan on keeping the bike and continue tracking and or starting to race, then you should fix the blown motor and build it to be more reliable. could be a fun project if the funds are available.

·
Registered
460 Posts
How many miles on the engine? How many trackdays?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Keep the bike, depending on how bad your engine is I'd suggest this is a great time to do a big bore kit along with a rebuild and continue to ride the hell out of it! There, problem solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts