Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited my dealer today to check out a few things and I happen to see another 'S' on display. It was done to the 9's and yet it was still waiting for more cf parts.

It had the full Termi 70mm system installed but more than that though was that the headers were polished! I've never seen that done before and it looked really really good, another head turner. The dealer said that once it's driven and the pipes heat up, they'll turn to a yellow brassy color much like the inner sleaves of the front Ohlin forks, nice!

Moments later the owner of the 'S' in question comes into the dealer. I congratulate the gentlemen and we start to talk. He pointed out something I thought all you guys out there with the full system might want to know. He said have the dealer wrap the pipes along all along the bottom of the fairing (cowl). He said he ran into a problem with his MV Augusta such that after installing aftermarket pipes, the pipes got so hot it melted his $4500 per side CF side panels of his fairing, and it was not covered under warranty!! So when he purchased his 'S' he said he was taking no chances and insisted the dealer wrap his exhaust. The way he was talking it appeared that the dealer did it free of charge but I wasn't able to confirm that at the time, so now I need to follow with them.

So my question to all you gents who have been driving around with the full system is have you noticed any deformation or melting yet of any kind yet? Maybe you can't see it just yet, you might be able to feel it starting if you run your hands under and along the inside of the fairing along the bottom?

I only have 15 Km's on mine and won't be able to ride if legitimately til mid May, surely some of you guys have hundreds of Km's or miles on yours and have been driving in hot weather to notice if this is a problem or not by now?

Anyone?

·
Registered
547 Posts
If that guys system was an aftermarket system not made by MV, then maybe there were clearance issues. The 70mm Termignoni system is engineered by ducati made by termi, so hopefully they have thought about clearance issues. And in theory the 70mm pipes should be a lot cooler than stock, due to free flowing, which several members have commented on that their bikes run cooler with the 70mm compared to stock. Also they come standard on the Tricolore , so i would guess that melting of panels wouldnt be an issue.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Matty said:
instead of wrap id just get it ceramic coated
I'm with Matty on this one! Never been much of a fan of exhaust wrap, in fact in the automotive world, I've had it do more harm than actual good...

Send the pipes out to Jet Hot ( http://www.jet-hot.com )and have them coated. They have great finish options, reasonable prices, and will help keep everything running cooler not to mention looking better!

Matty, do you think black pipes would look trick? Everyone usually takes polished look, but I think a matte black finish would actually look sweet with lets say Carbon cans....

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DucatiGuy said:
I'm with Matty on this with! Never been much of a fan of exhaust wrap, in fact in the automotive world, I've had it do more harm than actual good...

Send the pipes out to Jet Hot ( http://www.jet-hot.com )and have them coated. They have great finish options, reasonable prices, and will help keep everything running cooler not to mention looking better!

Matty, do you think black pipes would look trick? Everyone usually takes polished look, but I think a matte black finish would actually look sweet with lets say Carbon cans....
Hey thanks DucatiGuy!

Thanks for the link too. Geez your just a wealth of info!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Uh, hate to bring this up, but this was in fact an issue with the triple 9 R.

I do agree with DucatiGuy about the ceramic coating. Have done that to car exhausts. Looks better than wrap and doesn't pick up and hold grease, etc the way wrap does.

·
Registered
131 Posts
im going to get mine ceramic (jet hot) coated before installing it. However the down side is that according to the coater they cant put the cans in the oven when they bake the finish, so your still stuck with the stock pipes for the 8inches or so that attched to the cans. Anyone know a way around this? i would hate to have all that pretty silver finish and then tarnished looking stock pipes where they are the most noticeable, just wont look right.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That is very true. The only way around it is to take apart the cans. You'll have to drill out the rivets, and pull the cans apart. It sounds harder than it really is to do. A drill with a good bit and steady hand is pretty much all you need. To install them back up, you're going to need some good quality rivets and a rivet gun. Both of which you can pick up at most any hardware shop for anywhere from $20-$40 depending on brand.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Keep in mind that the full Termi system comes factory stock on the T/C...how could it be denied if indeed it did start to melt? Surely Ducati did not engineer this system to melt shit..That said, I had thought of the possibilities of this. When I was cleaning my bike are there are a couple of places where the faring comes really close to the header.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Yes I can see the what if scenario. But if i spend that much money on exhaust and even more on my Tricolore and it melts a fairing someone will be hurting. There is no way Ducati will produce a bike or back an exhasut that will knowingly cause issues and more expenses for them down the road. If this is the case my Tricolore will be shortly owned.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Listen, I'm just as angry to hear about this as everyone else is. I find it hard to believe it would, but I would like a little re-assurance. The only way to get it is to hear from those who have ridden in the hot places...

Shit, if it's going to happen it won't take 2 years, it should happen as soon as it gets hot....

I think DesmoDuc has a point the bigger pipes might mean it will run a little cooler (I hope).

I suppose I'll have to wait for summer. And if it does, back to the dealer I go, for warranty.

G

·
the 75mm system front header goes to one side with rubber stoppers to hold it away from the plastic further than the std pipe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have run mine in 35deg c and not hat the plastics melt. has spent good time on the dyno and no issues. I have had it up to 271km on a freeway and had no melting issues. Bike does run cooler with system, used to burn my legs with stock pipes. Have not felt that since system was put on

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gixxerboy said:
I have run mine in 35deg c and not hat the plastics melt. has spent good time on the dyno and no issues. I have had it up to 271km on a freeway and had no melting issues. Bike does run cooler with system, used to burn my legs with stock pipes. Have not felt that since system was put on
That's nice to hear, just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Coated pipes running cooler....

DucatiGuy said:
I'm with Matty on this one! Never been much of a fan of exhaust wrap, in fact in the automotive world, I've had it do more harm than actual good...

Hey DucatiGuy,

I am curious about the theory behind coating the pipes. I remember back when Suzuki was painting their motocross bike engines black and claiimg it helped disipate the heat. Anyway, curious to know the answer if anyone has heard about this claim.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
49 Posts
It has to do with the insulating properties of the ceramic and not with the color of the coating. Ceramic is a great insulator and plating the inside and outside of the pipe helps to prevent the heat from radiating out of the exhaust during its journey into the wake of the beast.
A highly recommended and worthwhile mod:

www.hpcoatings.com

·
Registered
71 Posts
Melting Fairing

This is just like global warming, nobody believes it until it bites your ass.
Yes, if you have the full system Termignoni, 57 mm, on a 999 series Ducati it will melt your left lower faring panel unless you take steps to correct the problem. Yes Ducati will sell you motorcycles and exhaust systems with known problems and they won't say a word about it. When you have problems they will either blow you off or fix it all depending on your dealer, so you better have a good dealer. Ducati is no different than any other company in the world, they are in the business to make money, not you happy. That being said I will get on with it.
You can use a self stick shield on the fairing itself but you will have to clean the fairing surface and then use an adhesive Spray on type like 3M from an auto parts store or the stuff won't stick, period. You can do a good clean job and it works great, a real no brainer. After you get your fairing all shielded wrap the front cylinder header from the front to where it crosses over under the rear of the engine. This is what I did with my Fila and it works great.
You can get all the stuff you need here other than the adhesive.

http://www.blrmotorsports.com/index.php?cPath=3_4

No, I don't hate Ducatis, I wish I did cause I got three of them. So far I have had no issues with the 1098 running the 70mm Termi system, but then I wraped my pipes from one end to the other. :D
Good luck with that!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My 999s has the full termis, and the bottom pipe, near the kickstand, has burned the fairing and it cracked. Not a big deal, red duct tape, and no one knows but me. Other than that, with 14600 miles, and multiple track days, it's all real good.
Grand Duc said:
A friend of mine had a 999R and his Termi burn the bottom of fairing.

Coud become real hot on a dyno too !

·
Registered
234 Posts
If I wanted to pull the stock exhaust out myself (on an 848) and send it out to jethot, are there torque requirements when putting the exhaust back on or is it just as simple (well, not really with all the faring removal, etc) as remove the exhaust pipes, send them out and re-install? In otherwords, is there anything special to re-installing them? Also, I didn't quite understand about coating with jethot and not being able to coat all the way up to the cans. Why would they not just do the entire pipe and then you can put the cans back on?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts