Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italian venue. Track record held by Checa on a Duc (albeit an 1198).

Could be a good chance for a dry race podium for Ducati.

It's hard to say who will be up front these days. An Aprilia, a Kawasaki… even a CBR. It's good racing these days.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Second home race of the season for the Ducati Superbike Team at Misano this weekend

Borgo Panigale (Italy), Tuesday 17 June 2014 - The Ducati Superbike Team is back in Italy for round 7 of the championship, taking place this weekend at the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli.

The Misano racetrack, located alongside the coastal town of Misano Adriatico, about 140km from the Ducati factory in Borgo Panigale, has hosted the Superbikes on numerous occasions and is another track where the Ducati Superbike team, and riders Davide Giugliano and Chaz Davies, can count on local support.

Just a few weeks ahead of World Ducati Week, scheduled to take place at the same Misano circuit from 18 to 20 July, the Ducati Superbike Team prepares for its second home race of the 2014 season. The Superbikes took a hiatus from the Misano World Circuit last year but in 2012 Giugliano stepped up to the podium, having finished third with his Ducati 1198. Davies scored a sixth place finish that same year.

At the latest Malaysian round of the championship, the day’s races, held in extremely hot and humid conditions, proved challenging for the team. Davies narrowly missed out on a podium in race 1, powering his 1199 Panigale to a fourth place finish, before closing race two in eighth position. Giugliano, unfortunately suffering from flu and fever, battled his way to eighth and tenth place.

Heading into this seventh round, Chaz is sixth in the championship standings followed by Davide, seventh. Ducati lies fourth in the manufacturer’s championship.

Comments ahead of the event:

Chaz Davies – Ducati Superbike Team #7

“I had a difficult weekend at Misano in 2012 as we made a big change to the bike overnight before the race. I ended up racing fairly well, despite a crash, though to be honest I haven’t had the best experiences at Misano until now. Having said that, it’ll be nice to race in Italy again, and there should be a lot of local support. It could be a good track for the Panigale, with some tight corners, although as we saw in Sepang our main problem right now is maintaining grip in high temperatures. So we’ll be working hard to improve edge grip over the weekend in order to be ready for the races.”

Davide Giugliano – Ducati Superbike Team #34

“I was feeling pretty ill when we got back from Sepang and needed some days to recover, but I’m doing ok now thankfully… Looking ahead to this weekend, Misano is a track that I really enjoy. We haven’t raced there for a while but I have good memories of 2012 when I stepped up to the podium in the company of Biaggi and Checa. It’s a good track that should suit the Panigale, but we’ll have our work cut out if we want to be as prepared as possible for Sunday’s races.”

Circuit Info

Name: Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli
Length of circuit: 4.226 km
Pole Position: right
Race distance: 21 laps/88.746 km

LAP RECORDS: Best lap - Checa (Ducati) 1'36.080 (2012). Superpole – Corser (BMW) 1'35.001 (2010).

2012 RESULTS: Race 1 - 1. Biaggi (Aprilia); 2. Checa (Ducati); 3. Giugliano (Ducati). Race 2 – 1. Biaggi (Aprilia); 2. Rea (Honda); 3. Haslam (BMW)

Rider Info

Chaz Davies
Bike: Ducati 1199 Panigale
Race number: 7
Number of SBK races: 63
Number of wins: 4
Number of podiums: 12

Davies’ SBK track record at Misano:
2012: Race 1 – 6th, Race 2 – DNF

Davide Giugliano
Bike: Ducati 1199 Panigale
Race number: 34
Number of SBK races: 67
Number of wins: 0
Number of podiums: 5

Giugliano’s SBK track record at Misano:
2012: Race 1 – 3rd, Race 2 – DNF

Weekend schedule (CET):

Friday
11.45 – 12.30 – SBK Timed Practice 1
15.30 – 16.15 – SBK Timed Practice 2

Saturday
9.45 – 10.30 – SBK Timed Practice 3
12.30 – 13.00 – SBK Free Practice
15.00 – 15.15 – Superpole 1
15.25 – 15.40 – Superpole 2

Sunday
8.45 – 8.55 – SBK Warm-up
10.30 – SBK Race 1
13.10 – SBK Race 2

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that added a little more "substance" to the thread. Thanks! Hopefully you'll be able to post up some beautiful photos in a few days too.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Lets get ready to rumble!!! FP1

After dominating the recent Malaysian races, the Aprilia factory team returned to Europe with a new livery to celebrate the first ever International win for the brand in 1987, and once again led the way in the opening Free Practice session at the Misano World Circuit – Marco Simoncelli on the Adriatic coast with Marco Melandri claiming the top spot.

Behind the Italian, Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) and Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team) completed the top 3 with reigning champion Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) 4th.

Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team) and Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) were 5th and 6th respectively a fraction ahead of Misano and WSBK rookie Alex Lowes who was the first of the Voltcom Crescent Suzuki riders.

Sylvain Barrier (BMW Motorrad Italia) made a welcome and impressive return to the track posting the 18th best time overall with Italian Niccolo Canepa (Althea Racing Ducati) 12th overall and the best of the EVO riders.

Riccardo Russo (Team Pedercini) was 25th overall on his WSBK debut.

Aaron Yates (Team Hero EBR) crashed in the final minute of the session after posting a series of personal improving laps. The American was unhurt and will be back out in FP2.

With the top 9 riders covered by less than one second, this afternoon’s second Free Practice session should be equally as exciting with all of the riders pushing to make into the top twenty and the all-important Tissot-Superpole qualifying positions.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
It amazes me that the top SSP guys are doing the same lap times as the top STK1000 guys! I'm guessing those 600 are just that fast, because the quality of riders in those classes is about the same.

Davies and Giugliano appear to have pretty good pace so far.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
^^ Yep, and in Superstock 1000 the 1199 Ducatis are first and second!!

Reactions: 1fast750ss

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Uh Oh, look whose on top in FP2,

After topping FP1 earlier today, Italian Marco Melandri (Aprilia Racing Team) was displaced at the top of the combined standings by compatriot Davide Giguliano (Ducati Superbike Team) and reigning champion Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team).

A red flag after the MV Agusta of Michael Savary (Grandi Corse by AP Racing) caught fire saw a stoppage in events on track with the session being stopped almost immediately for a second time after the Team Hero EBR machine of Aaron Yates stopped on track with what looked like an engine problem.

When the final ten minutes eventually ran to completion a number of riders posted personal best laps, the Ducati pairing of Davide Giugliano and Chaz Davies elevating themselves into contention with the Brit eventually having to settle for 4th behind Melandri who remained in 3rd.

Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) was 5th ahead of the impressive Voltcom Crescent Suzuki of Alex Lowes. The Brit once again riding a new track in his rookie season.

The remaining riders in the top ten and therefore currently making it into Superpole 1 are Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team), Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike Team), Eugene Laverty (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) and Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma Aprilia).

As in FP1, Niccolo Canepa (Althea Racing Ducati) was the best of the riders in 12th overall.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
It amazes me that the top SSP guys are doing the same lap times as the top STK1000 guys! I'm guessing those 600 are just that fast, because the quality of riders in those classes is about the same.

I think that's a peculiarity of the track. The 600 supersports are top end machines but 20kmh down on the sstk bikes. This says to me that the little bikes are making their time up in corner speed. Whereas the superbikes are a further 20kmh faster which counters the corner speed enough to gain faster times than the little bikes. It would be different again on less twisty tracks with longer straights I guess.

Ducati is looking good but track temps on race day will have a lot to do with final positioning. Edge grip will be an issue if it's hot and Europe is certainly ( finally) having a summer now. Davies is happy though.

Solid opening day in Misano. Seems the Panigale quite likes it when we bring her close to home! Keep chipping away until the lights go out 🔨

Superbike 2014 - Round 7 - Misano

Giugliano and the Ducati Superbike Team earn provisional pole today at Misano!

Misano Adriatico (Italy), Friday 20 June 2014 –
The Ducati Superbike Team made an extremely positive start to its ‘home’ race weekend at the Misano World Circuit today; thanks to a very fast final lap at the session’s end, Davide Giugliano projected himself into overall first place, with teammate Chaz Davies concluding the first day of action in fourth position.

The two Ducati Superbike riders started the race weekend strongly at what is another home track for the team. In the morning’s first timed practice session, which took place in warm and sunny conditions, both Davies and Giugliano worked well with their technicians, making constant progress throughout the 45-minute session. They both finished practice inside the top five, with Davies registering the third fastest time (1’37.217) and Giugliano closing fifth (1’37.421).

In the afternoon, and in similarly hot conditions (air temperature 35°C, track 47°C), Davide was able to improve on his time by eight tenths, moving up into second place in the standings. The session was then interrupted 12 minutes from the end with a red flag after one of the wildcard riders suffered a technical failure. In the final phase, after the session resumed, Chaz was able to improve, by more than half a second, to record a strong lap in 1’36.636 which positioned him fourth at the session’s end. In the final seconds Davide, not yet satisfied with his lap time, was able to make another step, stopping the clock on 1’36.370, fast enough to assure him of first position at the end of day one.

Quotes after the day’s sessions:

Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team #34) – 1st (1’36.370)
“We’re quite fast already and the bike has been working really well. Things are not yet perfect but we’re working hard and I’m very pleased. Our pace is strong; we made a long-run and I was able to lap with times that were consistently under 1’37. We still need to improve a little in sector 3, with the long turn – I think we can gain a couple of tenths there but all things considered we’ve made a great start to the weekend.”

Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team #7) – 4th (1’36.636)
“I’m pretty happy and the bike is working well. I haven’t changed much throughout the day, nothing drastic anyway, as we seemed to improve quite quickly this morning. We need to be ready to make another step tomorrow, as everyone will pick up the pace, but it’s all going well so far. We made an 18-lap run and the tyre held up pretty well which I’m pleased about. We haven’t had any real edge grip issues like we did in Malaysia, perhaps because the track temperature is not as high. Anyway a good first day.”

Weekend schedule (CET):

Saturday
9.45 – 10.30 – SBK Timed Practice
12.30 – 13.00 – SBK Free Practice
15.00 – 15.15 – Superpole 1
15.25 – 15.40 – Superpole 2

Sunday
8.45 – 8.55 – SBK Warm-up
10.30 – SBK Race 1
13.10 – SBK Race 2

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts

The 600's are very similar to the WSBK bikes. Technically advanced. As in, full race bike, built from ground up, 160hp. Is nothing like the street version.

Good riders yes, but the bikes are far more technically superior than the STK1000 bikes one can buy and race.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The 600's are very similar to the WSBK bikes. Technically advanced. As in, full race bike, built from ground up, 160hp. Is nothing like the street version.
Exactly! Which amazes me the series keeps going with those rules, as 600's chew themselves up and cost more to maintain then liter bikes. Why the new rules don't apply to that series, is kinda interesting.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts

Good riders yes, but the bikes are far more technically superior than the STK1000 bikes one can buy and race.
Yep, very true...I just find it amazing how much power they can get out of those 600s. I suppose it's pretty much the same way they can get 230 hp out of a 1000 cc WSBK bike!

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Giugliano clings on to the number one spot in FP3
Saturday, 21 June 2014 08:36

Italian riders 1-2 as we head to Tissot-Superpole.

With the sun continuing to shine on the Misano World Circuit – Marco Simoncelli, FP3 was a fast and furious affair with the 30 strong field of WSBK riders all keen to make into this afternoon’s Tissot-Superpole sessions.

Marco Melandri (Aprilia Racing Team) and Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team), who topped FP1 and FP2 respectively were once again in the mix but on combined times at the end of FP3 it was the Ducati rider who goes into Superpole 2 as the fastest rider of the weekend so far.

Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) was one of the first to improve and within the first 7 minutes he had improved his personal best time before moving to the top of the timing sheets 0.029s faster that Giugliano’s best from yesterday.

read more Here

Attachments

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Looking good Ducati!!!

Saturday, 21 June 2014 13:45

Corser’s outright lap beaten by scorching pace in Tissot-Superpole.

After another tense but exciting Tissot-Superpole session, Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) will start tomorrow’s two 21 lap races at the Misano World Circuit after getting the better of Davide Giugliano (Ducati Superbike Team) and Sylvain Guintoli (Aprilia Racing Team) who will join him on the front row.

With 11 riders separated by less than one second during the three Free Practice sessions, it was always going to be a close session and the on track action certainly didn’t disappoint the crowd as several riders took their turn to head the field.

Toni Elias (Red Devils Roma Aprilia) and Niccolo Canepa (Althea Racing Ducati) made it through to the final 15 minute Pole Position shoot-out courtesy of being the fastest two riders in Superpole 1, progressing to join the already seeded top 10 from the combined Free Practice classification. Toni’s time of 1.35.961 was actually the fastest lap of the weekend until the final Pole Position lap eclipsed it.

With five minutes remaining all of the riders ventured back out for their final qualifying push, with Tom Sykes smashing the outright circuit best lap on his way to his 21st career Superpole victory.

Behind the top three, row two tomorrow will see Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team), Marco Melandri (Aprilia Racing Team) and Toni Elias with Chaz Davies (Ducati Superbike Team), Jonathan Rea (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) and Eugene Laverty (Voltcom Crescent Suzuki) lining up on row 3.

The EVO battle was won by Niccolo Canepa who will start both races tomorrow from the fourth row in 10th position overall.

Leon Haslam (Pata Honda World Superbike Team) crashed at the end of the session and will therefore start 12th.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Three Ducatis in the top ten,..... SBK Q2

1 1 T. SYKES GBR Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'34.883 6 160,341 266,5
2 34 D. GIUGLIANO ITA Ducati Superbike Team Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'35.079 0.196 0.196 6 160,010 264,5
3 50 S. GUINTOLI FRA Aprilia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'35.106 0.223 0.027 7 159,965 266,5
4 76 L. BAZ FRA Kawasaki Racing Team Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'35.254 0.371 0.148 7 159,716 266,5
5 33 M. MELANDRI ITA Aprilia Racing Team Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'35.316 0.433 0.062 7 159,612 269,8
6 24 T. ELIAS ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 Factory 1'35.404 0.521 0.088 7 159,465 270,4
7 7 C. DAVIES GBR Ducati Superbike Team Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'35.602 0.719 0.198 7 159,135 265,2
8 65 J. REA GBR PATA Honda World Superbike Honda CBR1000RR 1'35.675 0.792 0.073 7 159,013 265,8
9 58 E. LAVERTY IRL Voltcom Crescent Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'36.043 1.160 0.368 6 158,404 262,6
10 59 N. CANEPA ITA Althea Racing Ducati 1199 Panigale R EVO 1'36.404 1.521 0.361 5 157,811 255,8
11 22 A. LOWES GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki Suzuki GSX-R1000 1'36.489 1.606 0.085 7 157,672 262,0
12 91 L. HASLAM GBR PATA Honda World Superbike Honda CBR1000RR 1'36.515 1.632 0.026 7 157,629 263,2

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I'll post some stuff up from Ducati later. Don't know if i'll manage the pictures. My large hi-def monitor went down the shitter this morning and it's awkward to process photos in photoshop on my TV, which is my other option right now. I'll do my best

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Dang too bad about Davies, clearly unable to switch on those qualifiers. I still think he'll be there in the race.

Gonna be interesting, Sykes on pole is ominous. :(

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Supersport 1000 Qualifing results...... Three Ducatis in the top five.... Yeah Now!!!

1 32 L. SAVADORI ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1'38.974 13 153,713 254,0
2 36 L. MERCADO ARG Barni Racing Team Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'39.016 0.042 0.042 13 153,648 257,0
3 43 F. MASSEI ITA EAB Racing Team Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'39.294 0.320 0.278 12 153,218 254,6
4 69 O. JEZEK CZE Barni Racing Team Ducati 1199 Panigale R 1'39.507 0.533 0.213 9 152,890 254,6
5 23 F. SANDI ITA Team Motoxracing BMW S1000 RR HP4 1'39.657 0.683 0.150 13 152,660 258,2

1 - 20 of 51 Posts