Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will Davide finally remain upright and bring us a victory?
Will Chaz have what it takes to stand among the championship contenders...

Oh the suspense... :popcorn:

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
So far Canepa seems to be the most impressive. In FP1 and 2 he was faster than some of the fast guys like Sykes, Melandri, Davies, Haslam...and in FP3 he's within a tenth of Melandri and Davies.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Canepa can ride the wheels off the EVO Panigale. It's unfortunate the bike is so much slower then the SBK machines in the trap speeds. It's amazing there is THAT much difference in the power plant output between the two machines, considering they both start as 1199R's. :shrug:

Should be an interesting weekend with Sykes not quite on the pace. Giugliano may nab a podium because they can run a softer tire and have it last race distance at night without the high track temps. It's almost the perfect storm for the Ducati boys, though Davies needs some help languishing 1.5 seconds behind his teammate.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
And the new WSBK lap record at Qatar belong to.....a Ducati! :D

Great lap by Giugliano! Good job to Davies as well.

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
What a fantastic first race!! Can't believe Baz didn't let off at the end.

3 point difference between Sykes and Guintoli now! It's all coming down to the last race. Pretty much whoever is ahead of the other one will win (assuming it's at the front end). Can't wait for race 2!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
on another note, if you check the stats and look at the top speeds, the Ducatis were on par or slightly faster than everyone except the Aprilias who were in another league. I'd say that's pretty good improvement to be the 2nd fastest on the grid, when not long ago they were last.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yep... It ain't over yet... Good stuff..

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yep I have a feeling the boys in red will do well tonight. They just gotta keep it on two wheels. It's gonna be interesting to see how Sykes deals with things.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
*****SPOILER ALERT**********

Another good race, and Guintoli played it out to perfection. He dominated it and deserved the championship win. I think Sykes gave up at the end when he looked over his shoulder and got passed by Rea.

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I was wondering about that glance as well?
Good race indeed. I felt that Rea let Sykes by early on, gave him a shot at it.. Then realized it wasn't going to happen for Tom.. And took him later..
Future team-mates and all..

Funny thing.. You know that guy that just won the title.. Does he have a ride yet for next year?

Reactions: WERA689 and 219R

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
Btw, I would wonder if the Aprilla motor could past a teardown inspection!!! Looked more like 260hp,.... what a rocket!!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I was wondering about that glance as well?
Good race indeed. I felt that Rea let Sykes by early on, gave him a shot at it.. Then realized it wasn't going to happen for Tom.. And took him later..
Future team-mates and all..

Funny thing.. You know that guy that just won the title.. Does he have a ride yet for next year?
I thought they said he's staying at Aprilia.

Gee, I wonder if Baz got a ride to the airport in the Kawasaki Team bus!!!
No kidding! :D...but to be fair both Baz and Melandri let their teammates get ahead before. And Melandri could've let Guintoli win the 2nd race at Magni Cours but decided one was enough, so that's 5 points right there that Guintoli could've had, just like Sykes could've had 4 more points if Baz would've listened to the team. My view on team orders still hasn't changed....fuck 'em! :popcorn:

Btw, I would wonder if the Aprilla motor could past a teardown inspection!!! Looked more like 260hp,.... what a rocket!!!
Nah...some of the motoGP bikes were getting into the 340-345 range down the straight...almost 20 kph faster than the aprilias! Though the Aprilias matched the top speeds of the GP guys that were on the RCV1000s, the Forward Yamahas, and some of the others in the back half of the grid.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Great weekend for Sylvan, so happy for him and the championship. It was also very awesome to see a head-up no-bullshit final battle to determine the championship. Sylvan secured the factory Aprilia's final WSBK championship and Pirelli best lap award as well on his way to a great personal achievement.

As Tom put it post race, a little mistake in Sepang cost him dearly. These days, having a single DNF can cost you the championship and that particular DNF was clearly on Tom's mind right after the race. The commentators mentioned Sylvan's excellent performance at Qatar before, but nothing quite like this and he really stepped it up a notch. As Sylvan said post race, it was the best time he's ever had racing a motorcycle. Those are some strong words coming from someone who's been around for such a long time.

In retrospect, it's been a two horse season with a few outsiders (Baz/Rea/Melandri) in the mix. It's very unfortunate Melandri took such a long time to get comfortable on the Aprilia. It's also unfortunate that Rea had some tough finishes in between his podiums. These for sure factored into the "two horse season" a little bit more like Spies/Haga in 2009, had Haga won. ;)

Looking towards the future, World Superbikes is very much a changed series for next year. Many teams are leaving including Hero EBR and factory Aprilia. The good news is, Aprilia will be represented by Red Devil's next season and BMW appear to be making a big come back with some "unannounced" top talent, we wait and see. As for our top 3 riders, Rea will be joining Sykes on the factory Kawasaki team and Sylvan will be taking Rea's spot at Pata Honda, which will continue it's factory support with Honda in 2015. Ducati is adding another factory team to the mix with Althea and a top rider in Nicalos Terol, straight from Moto2. Factory Suzuki will be taking on Randy De Puniet with an updated bike and World Supersport champion Van Der Mark will be joining Pata Honda along side Sylvan. Of course, the factory Ducati boys won't be changing and it looks like a lot of the same faces will be on the grid in different chairs next year, though the dust hasn't settled quite enough to start making quotes.

Needless to say, next year should be pretty interesting due to the differences in tuning regulations which will slow the bikes down substantially and most importantly even out the field as there won't be an EVO class. Here's hoping guys like Canepa and Salom can continue in the series as they were a lot of fun to watch when we got a glimpse of it.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
I really thought Tom should've went into "win it or bin it" mode once he saw Guintoli was starting to pull away....but he didn't.

As far as the stuff you said Tye, who said Guintoli is going to Pata Honda?? Do you have a link or other source for that? I thought Aprilia was staying in it with Guintoli on board. It seems odd to me that the guy winning the championship is getting the boot and going to a lesser team (no offense to the Honda fans).

Also, what's up with all these "older" guys winning in WSBK? :D...whereas GP seems to be a young guys game ;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
As far as the stuff you said Tye, who said Guintoli is going to Pata Honda?? Do you have a link or other source for that? I thought Aprilia was staying in it with Guintoli on board. It seems odd to me that the guy winning the championship is getting the boot and going to a lesser team (no offense to the Honda fans).
It was a rumor..
Then it seemed to have slipped out and mentioned during race two from an announcer during the second race on bein.. At least I thought I heard it.. Hence my inquiry in my last post. Now? It seems done..

WSBK Musical Chairs: Rea To Kawasaki, Guintoli To Pata Honda | MotoMatters.com | Kropotkin Thinks

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yeah I just saw that earlier.

Why is Aprilia backing out? I feel like all these manufacturers are going the wrong way as far as racing. MotoGP is expensive and has nothing to do with production bikes. Sure it's the pinnacle of motorcycle racing, but I'm sure I'm not the only fan that would want to see more manufacturers in WSBK instead. Yamaha needs to go back, BMW needs to go back, KTM needs to enter in, and the others should stay. I like seeing the variety, to see all the bikes that anyone can buy from dealers race head to head (with some performance modifications of course).

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It's absolutely hilarious I was complaining in another thread about the lack of development in the street sport bikes and how everyone was long in the tooth. Then the announcements today at EICMA were totally eye opening. With Ducati, Yamaha and Aprilia all producing one-off Superbike homologation special's (which is totally legal), it now begs the question, what will Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda do? Does Sylvan know something the rest of us don't about Honda's new production V4? Have they figured out how to make it cheap and sell to the masses?

But to answer your question Rub… Aprilia wish to develop new technologies and you can't do that in Superbikes anymore. So their presence will still be known, but they won't be allowed to make any changes during the season, which means for their engineering team, why bother? MotoGP is way more expensive, it will also be impossible for them to be successful. However, they will be able to develop and that's exactly why it's critical for them and other manufactures to make the switch from Superbikes to MotoGP. I have a feeling Kawasaki will join the ranks of MotoGP soon enough and if they do, the series will have more manufactures in it then Superbikes.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
That new R-1 definitely looks as if there is some trickle down going on...
Looks like some of that GP tech and look has arrived for Yamaha...

Was wondering about the Honda, and also if Guinters knows something as well?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts