Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going on right now. About an hour left at the moment. From what I gather from live timing lap times:

1. Kawasakis at the front (no surprise)
2. Most seem to be on equal terms in top speed down the straight. Nothing really between the Aprilias, Kawis, Ducatis, Suzukis and Hondas. They're all doing 301-304 kph.
3. EBR still struggling with speed but Canepa is much closer to the top than any of last year's guys were. Even Pegram's doing alright!
4. I'm excited for this weekend! :yo:

Reactions: NoTec

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think we should put our support behind Canepa and Davies. Hate to say it but until Giugliano can finish a race, I have no faith in him.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah Giugliano's fast...for a few laps. At least there are more Ducati's on the grid now. Terol (on Ducati) and Torres (on Aprilia) have made the switch from Moto 2. It'll be interesting to see how they do.

On a side topic...regarding WSP...I can't help but notice the lack of variety in bikes. In AMA the 600 class is packed with Yamahas and Triumphs, but in WSP it's all Kawasaki, Honda, a couple of MV's and 1 single Yamaha. No Suzuki, no Triumph, etc...wonder why?

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The WSS class use to be packed with all the brands, but the manufactures have stopped giving support, so nobody runs them anymore. The brands are so focused on the bigger classes (especially MotoGP) they simply don't have the resources to make the factory bits and support those engines.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I feel bad for poor Guintoli, stuck on that Honda and injured. He reminds me so much of Carlos Checa, got his championship and now he'll probably never do well again. :(

I have a feeling this year will be Kawasaki wins almost every race. Rea has taken to the green machine very fast and with his desire to knock out a championship, I think it's all over for everyone else unless something happens to him. I for one will be happy to see him win races and be successful, he's absolutely the next person in line who deserves to win. This is his opportunity and I sure hope he can make it happen.

It's interesting to note that Haslam was the quickest Aprilia, that to me is very strange because he's done nothing in recent years and to be right up front is kinda staggering. Maybe it proves how good that bike is and how bad that bloody Honda is. Again, back to Sylvan and his hopes at doing anything on a bike that's proven to not be very good.

Canepa looks pretty good on that EBR, though I have a feeling he'll struggle to get into the top ten over race distance. The bikes have lots of problems with tire wear and engine life, so just finishing a race in the top 10 would be a win for them.

Why do the Suzuki's go so well at PI? Last year it was the same deal and then the rest of the season they did jack shit. Very strange…

The top 10 are roughly within a second, so we'll see how that translates to the race. I think Ducati hasn't really shown their potential yet, perhaps working on longer runs with more fuel, as their trap speeds are very good.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The WSS class use to be packed with all the brands, but the manufactures have stopped giving support, so nobody runs them anymore. The brands are so focused on the bigger classes (especially MotoGP) they simply don't have the resources to make the factory bits and support those engines.
Yeah but why is it the opposite in AMA? Granted most are privateers, but I believe there are a couple of teams that are receiving factory support from Yamaha, and maybe similarly with Triumph.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The Yamaha R6 is so popular in AMA because it is popular in amateur racing orgs. It is a well sorted machine, with parts galore and lots of spares that are cheap. There are a ton of them on the used race bike market for this reason. That bike is relatively unchanged since 2006 with a minor update in 2008 and it was a well made design as it is extremely successful where I live. Look how many different generations of other makes and models have come and gone since 2006, yet the R6 still wins.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Yeah but why is it the opposite in AMA? Granted most are privateers, but I believe there are a couple of teams that are receiving factory support from Yamaha, and maybe similarly with Triumph.
Chuck Graves! He is the reason why the R6 is so potent here. In professional racing you need the chassis/suspension and engine modifications which make any package work. Graves sells everything you need for pubic consumption. If you've got money, you can have a bitching bike. The R6 out of the box isn't that great, but the Graves machines are absolutely outstanding. Yosh (suzuki) doesn't sell engine parts to the public. Honda use to have race parts, but stopped doing that program a few years ago. There are parts becoming available for Kawasaki but nothing nearly as developed as the R6 and Triumph.

Triumph racing sells all the parts necessary to make them bitching bikes for racing in the US. However, those same kits aren't enough to make them worth while in World Supersport. That's why the Triumph efforts of the past in WSS have all been part of the factory. I'm sure they had some crazy one-off parts to make those bikes competitive.

What WSS needs to do is force manufacturers to make kits again. They use to do that and it was great because any bike would be competitive. Once the "kit" rule stopped, everything fell apart and it's been difficult for lower end teams to make competitive bikes.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I remember kit parts available in the Yamaha catalogue sold right along side their clothing and other accessories.
Yep! It was very much common place a few years ago and now, absolutely nothing outside of Triumph and aftermarket. It's truly a sad state of affairs when it comes to these parts in roadracing. :(

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Whelp, that didn't take long. I called it...
Yep, sure did! Mofo didn't even make it to race one! Though this leaves an opening for Troy Bayliss! :fingers crossed:

Maybe he's one of those guys who doesn't need positive feedback from the machine to go quick.

Chaz won't make the same mistakes, his big crash last year at Laguna I don't think was even his fault.

The interesting part is the top 10 guys covered by 1.2 seconds with Canepa on the EBR in 10th. The new rules have absolutely evened the field out, even more then I expected. Even though Chaz is in 6th place, his time is only 4 tenths slower then first place man Alex Lowes. If that's race pace, Chaz is actually at record pace. The other guys may have used a qualifying tire to get those super quick laps, we don't know. But a 1:31.2 is absolutely possible on a race tire and has been done by only a hand-full of people in SBK.

So I'm keeping my hopes up!

1. Alex Lowes GBR Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 30.859s
2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 30.880s
3. Jordi Torres ESP Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 30.971s
4. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 31.075s
5. Leon Haslam GBR Red Devils Roma Aprilia RSV4 1m 31.102s
6. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing Ducati 1199R 1m 31.296s
7. David Salom ESP Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 31.510s
8. Nico Terol ESP Althea Ducati 1199R 1m 31.593s
9. Michael van der Mark NED PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 31.854s
10. Niccolo Canepa ITA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 32.002s
11. Sylvain Guintoli FRA PATA Honda CBR1000RR 1m 32.220s
12. Leon Camier GBR MV Agusta F4 RR 1m 32.238s
13. Tati Mercado ARG Barni Ducati 1199R 1m 32.239s
14. Sylvain Barrier FRA BMW Italia S1000RR 1m 32.268s
15. Matteo Baiocco ITA Althea Ducati 1199R 1m 32.430s
16. Randy de Puniet FRA Voltcom Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 33.137s
17. Roman Ramos ESP GO Eleven Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 33.349s
18. Matthew Walters AUS Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 33.354s
19. Jed Metcher AUS Race Center Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 33.570s
20. Santiago Barragan ESP Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 34.104s
21. Larry Pegram USA Team Hero EBR 1190RX 1m 34.274s
22. Christophe Ponsson LUX Grillini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 34.966s
23. Gabor Rizmayer HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 35.351s
24. Imre Toth HUN Team Toth BMW S1000RR 1m 36.112s

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Torres is doing alright to come to grips with the superbike, and so is Terol on the Ducati. Holy shit at Canepa!! Goes to show the EBR is not as big of a POS as we think, and also shows the difference in skill level between someone like Canepa, and the americans. I mean I know Pegram's not one of the fastest guys in the US, but he's pretty damn quick, and he's over 2 seconds slower on the same bike! If it had another 15-20 hp to keep up on the straights, I bet Canepa would put that in the top 5.

Reactions: NoTec

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Pegram could go faster if he would adjust his body position to not being crossed-up...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Didn't Pegram have a hip injury a long time ago? I thought that's why he physically can't hang off the bike as much.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
He did...but from what I remember he had surgery to fix his degradation of movement. Don't remember though whether it still prevents him from moving...I know he is one of the old-style body positioning guys though...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Here is a cute little pix of the panigale engine naked. They're doing some cool stuff with a connector block right smack dab in the center. Neato! :)

Reactions: WERA689

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I am hoping the red bikes do well..
But I am with you Tuned..
I am pulling for Rea... It is his time to shine

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.