Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the bike ('12 Pani S) a few weeks back and I just got around to changing the oil. While it was draining I would put my finger in there to check for anything shiny basically. Looked good. Checked the filter for anything shiny. Looked good. There were plenty of fine metal bits on the magnet but that should be normal. Bike has just over 4K on it now.

When I was transferring the oil from the drain pan I saw some copper-colored flakes. Naturally I'm very concerned as I know damn well what they mean. My old 2007 Ape RSVR blew its bearings before. Now I'm really hoping the flakes were just remnants of the Ape's. I cleaned the drain pan since then but I could've missed some. I HOPE I missed some. What would your level of concern be if you saw these?

Caramel color Food Metal

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
0%....that would be my level of concern....then again, I don't ever look through my dirty oil, so who knows what would be in there. I do check the magnet and it's always pretty much clean.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Your magnet is often free of anything?
Nowadays yes...every now and then I see a few very very small metal shavings, but generally it's pretty much clean. It wasn't like that at first. Bike now has 6000 miles, out of which about 60% are track miles.

I also change the oil VERY frequently since it's a race bike.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
If one is concerned about oil, send a 2 ounce sample to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. Costs $25.00, and will yield factual information.
my last sample analysis told me to clean my air filter!! Really........

Reactions: rubbish

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
If one is concerned about oil, send a 2 ounce sample to Blackstone Labs for an analysis. Costs $25.00, and will yield factual information.
my last sample analysis told me to clean my air filter!! Really........
Wonder if it will tell me how much longer I have on my tires and brake pads :p

Reactions: 219R

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well with it being used I can only assume the oil was changed at 600 miles. Bike has been on the track based off of the tearing of the tires when I bought it. They were the original tires based on the date code.

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
Okay... Ducati motors are very prone to starve the right side rod bearing IF they are crashed/laid down on the left side and allowed to run for an extended period of time. Being in the same scenario on the right side seems to be not as bad.... Left side down is the killer, might not show up catastrophic for a 1000 miles, as the bearing wears, but as the milage increases the bearing continues to put increased yellow flakes in the oil... again, send a sample to

Blackstone Labs

takes about five working days, costs is $25.00,
I have all my motors oil tested after every race weekend, to keep track of the health... and to avoid hopefully, a catastrophic failure.

Additionally, if I am buying a used bike, or motor, I always ask if there was a left side lay down....
Buyer beware kinda stuff.... the investment in a tip over switch is a good purchase for expensive motors....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would echo some of what has been said above. Get your oil tested and do so on a regular basis. Run the current oil for maybe 200 miles and drain into a CLEAN pan and inspect carefully. If the test comes back good and there is no indication of metal in your 200 mile oil change, you are probably good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts